Town of North Hempstead seeks a Superintendent of Highways.
The Superintendent of Highways is responsible for maintenance and construction of Town roads. He or she is responsible for ensuring that all operations are carried out efficiently and safely. The Superintendent‘s duties include all aspects of road integrity including pot hole repair, snow removal, clean-up after major storms, maintenance of existing and placement of new traffic and parking signs, road drainage and catch basin maintenance/repair, maintenance, removal and replacement of trees and vegetation adjacent to roads. The Superintendent is also responsible for acquisition and maintenance of all equipment necessary for these duties.
The Superintendent manages a full time staff of over 100 people at five locations, including two maintenance garages, one sign shop, and an administrative office. The Superintendent fulfills a position whose duties are mandated by State and Town law such as determining whether roads ...
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The Commissioner of Public Works is responsible for planning, administering and directing the operation of complex and diversified public works programs, projects, and facilities; performs related duties as required.
COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES
Under administrative direction, the duties include formulating and administering departmental policy. The Commissioner also directs and coordinates the activities of subordinate administrative personnel.
1. Formulating policy, plans and procedures for all public works provisions.
2. Plans, directs and coordinates the activities of subordinate administrative and supervisory personnel.
3. Plans, directs and reviews public works projects of all divisions and departments.
4. Plans, reviews, and recommends public works construction, plans, specifications, contracts, changes, and final acceptance.
5. Directs the maintenance of records and the preparation of reports
6. Prepares and presents ...