Position Title: Park Foreman
Reports To: District Supervisor
Supervises: 1 – 15 employees
Requirements: City of Buffalo residency, NYS Driver’s License
Park Foremen are responsible for the operational management of their assigned park. They lead the work efforts of staff, volunteers and/or workfare labor involved in the day to day maintenance, and work to ensure compliance with the performance standards of the park system. Areas of work include turf care, planting bed maintenance, watering/weeding/pruning, trash and daily grounds clean up, park safety and access; all to assure a pleasant, inviting park experience for the public user.
This position is non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NYS Department of Labor rules and regulations. The workweek includes flexible schedules depending on the workload and area assigned, with some weekend and holiday work. This position may be required to respond to emergency, on-call situations and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Parks System.
Park Foremen must set an example and conform to organizational rules, policies and procedures, safety protocols and dress and grooming standards as designated in the Employee Handbook of the Conservancy, and Safety Procedures Manual.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and operations of their assigned area through the implementation of approved maintenance, horticulture, and safety best practices.
• Leads the park labor force of employees, volunteers and/or workfare labor, and ensures work assignments as set by the District Supervisor are being met.
• Monitors performance and safety standards, and leads by example with quality of work, to ensure park experiences meet Olmsted and public expectations.
• Is flexible with maintenance or workload revisions given changing priorities, weather, or critical need situations.
• Coordinates and communicates with related staff as to Turf maintenance, Facilities/Buildings, Specialty Gardens and horticultural services to maintain a schedule of care, service and attention, and reporting any deficiencies.
• Responsible for care and use of related equipment, and reporting any incidents of repair needs immediately to the District Supervisor.
• As directed, serves as a site-liaison with the City of Buffalo Public Works Department employees to ensure coordination of maintenance and repairs.
• As needed or directed, works side by side with any volunteers, interns, non-union and union employees (City of Buffalo), law enforcement, as well as Conservancy donors and Trustees in order to accomplish Conservancy goals and objectives.
• Attends BOPC operational staff and safety meetings as directed.
• Any and all other duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications and Attributes
• At least 3 years of experience equivalent to job responsibilities.
• Holding a CDL license is a plus.
• Experience and proven track record of quality and effective teamwork, with an ability to motivate others and produce effective results.
• Knowledge of preferred methods and techniques for the maintenance and upkeep as to Olmsted standards for grounds, features and equipment.
• Ability to foster a team approach and work with others, assist with on-site training, and to aid in overseeing appropriate job assignments, monitoring progress, and communicating effectively and respectfully with co-workers and Supervisor.
• Specific knowledge and practice of Olmsted park maintenance and workforce policies and procedures.
• Resourcefulness in utilizing staff and/or equipment approved by the annual budget to the greatest benefit of the BOPC.
• Primarily outdoor hands-on work. May work in extreme weather conditions. Some office or paperwork may be required.
• These job duties require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods, as well as lift and/or move heavy objects at times up to 50 lbs.
• These job duties may require an employee to drive distances between park features or locations, and to potentially operate standard to heavy machinery.
• This position may be required to respond to emergency, on-call situations within its District at any time, and may include fieldwork throughout the Olmsted Park System.
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is committed to diversity in the workplace. Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Send your resume via email(A cover letter can be entered next.)