The Mount Vernon City School District is seeking part-time AVID Tutors for the 2018-2019 school year.
AVID is a system that targets potential college students who need support. AVID prepares these students by teaching them college readiness skills. Students are enrolled in advanced courses and given academic support through tutors.
Currently enrolled in College with a minimum of 2.5 GPA Strong Math and/or English background, evidenced by college transcript A desire to make a difference in the lives of students
• Work with small groups of middle school and/or high school students
• Determine from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need to be taught or reviewed
• Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and textbook motes, etc.
• Become familiar with the materials in the AVID Curriculum Libraries
• Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by AVID students
• Conduct tutorial sessions in all areas of mathematics, therefore, a strong math background is mandatory Conduct mini-lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and other aspects of college preparations
• Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow
• Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, revision, and editing
• Communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern
• Application and Training Applications must complete an application and participate in the interview process Applicants must agree to a criminal history check prior to beginning work
• Tutors will be trained in the Socratic tutorial method and will receive ongoing feedback and assistance with implementing AVID resources.
The Mount Vernon City School District is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing a work environment which is free from discrimination. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military status, veteran status, disability, or predisposing genetic characteristics or any other status protected by Federal, State or local laws.
The Mount Vernon City School District does not tolerate harassment of any kind.
Individuals who believe they have been subjected to employment-related discrimination or harassment may report the incident to the Compliance Officer. The following individual is designated by the Superintendent to coordinate Title IX/Section 504/ADA compliance activities:
Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
165 North Columbus Avenue
Mount Vernon, NY 10553
Telephone: (914)-358-2350 or (914)-665-6887
Send your resume via email(A cover letter can be entered next.)
Please complete and submit an online application and email a resume and cover letter using the Apply link above. No phone calls please.