Town of North Hempstead seeks an Executive Director of the “Yes We Can” Community Center.
The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Town of North Hempstead Parks and Recreation Department’s “Yes We Can” Community Center (the “community center”), located in New Cassel, NY.
This position would require leadership in staff supervision and development, fiscal management, growth and expansion of community center through membership and program administration, oversight of facility and equipment management and community relations with a specific emphasis in building and strengthening relationships in the community.
The community center is a state-of-the-art, 60,000 sq. ft. facility which features two NBA-sized basketball courts, a fitness center, dance and television studios, an internet café, community meeting rooms and much more. The amenities provided include basketball and dance programs, summer camps, after-school programs, classrooms, exercise rooms, party rooms and rental/event space.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Parks and Recreation or other related area including Human Services, Business Management, Business Administration or equivalent combination of education with experience.
• Knowledge of, and previous successful experience working with diverse populations. Specifically, ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with a sensitivity to cultural diversities, professional ethics, gender, and disabilities.
• Successful previous experience with the supervision, management and development of full and part-time employees, including the ability to supervise and direct assigned personnel,
interview applicants, hire, provide training, assign work, evaluate performance and maintain discipline.
• Ability to lead assigned operations including the preparation, development, administering and monitoring of budgets, membership and program development, financial development,
marketing and public relations and facility and property management.
• Ability to research and develop alternate funding sources and prepare various grant applications.
• Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
• Ability to multi-task and complete tasks effectively.
• Ability to exercise appropriate independent judgment, to assess facts and issues, and make non-routine decisions regarding day-to-day operational problems and issues.
• Westbury residence preferred.
• Supervises and directs assigned personnel, including interviewing applicants, hiring, assigning work, coordinating cross-training, providing corrective instruction, evaluating performance, and maintaining discipline.
• Develops, plans, schedules, and coordinates diversified recreation programs, including assessing citizen needs and interests, developing long-range plans, evaluating programs and activities, and making policy and procedural changes as needed. Assists in scheduling and coordinating use of park facilities.
• Manages and administers the total operating budget for the community center, including general and grant funds, monitoring revenue and expenditure records, and ensuring costeffective operations within assigned budget. Create a culture of revenue generation and growth.
• Assists in researching and developing alternate funding sources, such as grants, advertising, sponsorships, donations, and public and private partnerships.
• Maintains current knowledge of trends and developments in the recreation field by periodically attending seminars and workshops.
• Leads the operation in accordance with the policies, procedures and standards established by the Town Board for the community center. Meet all standards for licensed and accredited programs.
• Directs strategic planning efforts and develops the annual operating plan of the community center.
• Provides leadership and insight to the Town Board to ensure a successful operation focused on meeting community service needs.
• Manages physical facilities to provide a clean and welcoming atmosphere. Prioritize capital maintenance to meet facilities long term needs. Provide supervision over the facility’s building maintenance supervisor.
• Collaborates with individuals, businesses, government, and not–for-profits to develop and provide programs to address community needs.
• Represents and promotes the community center in the local community and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities. Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other community agencies in service delivery area.
• Ensures the safety and maintenance of high-quality facilities, grounds, and equipment.
• Performs the duties of direct reports as needed. Reports to the Commissioner of the Parks Department as well as the Chief of Staff.
The Town of North Hempstead is an equal opportunity employer.
Send your resume via email(A cover letter can be entered next.)