Come Play with Us! Acclaimed Children's Museum seeks partners in play.
We are a not-for-profit learning laboratory that inspires children and adults through interdisciplinary, hands-on, fun experiences, located in Garden City, New York.
As the Museum enters an exciting growth phase, with a planned capital campaign and expansion, it is searching for a Director of Finance to join its team.
The Director of Finance is a senior museum position responsible for hands-on general accounting and internal and external financial reporting and analysis. Responsibilities also include tax and cash management, development of internal controls, financial policies and procedures and overseeing all insurance policies, all while controlling costs and improving processes. The Director of Finance must be able to work well with employees at all levels within the Museum, Board members, including the Board Finance Committee and the Board Treasurer and individuals outside of the organization.
Major responsibilities include:
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements for an Organization with an operating budget of approximately $5 million.
• With the Museum President, monitor, manage and forecast the Museum’s cash position.
• Develop, analyze and interpret statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of performance against budget and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the Museum.
• Lead the budget process, work with departmental Directors to develop annual operating budgets for each cost center (approximately 40 cost centers) and coordinate with the President to bring the Museum-wide budget into balance.
• Preparation of the Museum’s annual audit and tax filings (Form 990 and Char500). Interfaces with auditors during audit and throughout the year.
• With President evaluates and recommends insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities. Manages all insurance coverage on an ongoing basis, dealing with brokers and carriers as necessary.
• Present financial performance to the Board of Trustees and Board Committees on routine basis.
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in Accounting or a related field from a four-year college or university plus 3 - 5 years of accounting/controller experience with a not-for-profit institution; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Not-for-profit experience, either in the Private or Public Sector, is required.
• Must be self-motivated, organized and able to work independently while still being a team player.
• Must possess excellent “people” skills and the ability to work effectively with employees at all levels within the organization and individuals, including Board members, outside the organization.
• Microsoft Office expertise with advanced knowledge of Excel required.
• Experience with Fund EZ a plus
• Excellent speaking, writing, interpersonal and presentation skills.
• CPA is preferred.
Compensation based on experience, please include requirements in cover letter.
Long Island Children's Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send your resume via email(A cover letter can be entered next.)
Please send your resume and cover letter indicating the position of interest using the Apply Online link above or to:
Long Island Children's Museum
ATTN: Human Resources Department
11 Davis Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
FAX: (516) 302-8188
No phone calls, please.