GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Builds, maintains, and repairs wooden articles, equipment, and structures in public institutions and agencies; performs related duties as required.
COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES
Under supervision, the position requires use of judgment and skill, and the work is reviewed for quality, accuracy, and completeness.
1. Installs, alters, repairs, and maintains floors, roofs, partitions, doors, window guards, wood fixtures, furniture, and other wooden articles and equipment.
2. Operates power saws, wood lathes, planers, sanders, and mortising machines, and other tools and equipment.
3. Cleans, sharpens, and repairs carpentry tools.
4. Supervises and instructs laborers and other assigned personnel.
5. Performs and variety of noncarpentry maintenance and repair tasks as required.
6. Makes work-time estimates, and keeps simple records.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, and equipment used in the carpentry trade.
2. Knowledge of the qualities and uses of various woods.
3. Skill in the care and use of carpentry tools and equipment.
4. Ability to install, alter, repair, and maintain a variety of wooden articles and equipment.
5. Ability to work from sketches, plans, blueprints, and to follow oral and written instructions.
6. Ability to perform a variety of noncarpentry maintenance and repair tasks.
7. Ability to make work-time estimates and keep simple records.
Training and Experience
1. Completion of vocational school training
Four years of satisfactory experience as a carpenter or carpenter's helper;
2. Six years of satisfactory experience as a carpenter or carpenter's helper.
The Town of North Hempstead is an equal opportunity employer.
Send your resume via email(A cover letter can be entered next.)