Christopher M. Bessa
I am a highly motivated chemical engineer that will benefit your company through my solid, three-faceted foundation of human capital. Academically, I possess a Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering from Florida Institute of Technology. Skill-wise, I am proficient in numerous computer software packages (e.g. Excel, HYSYS, Aspen, and SIMULINK), possess many valuable certifications (e.g. OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER, AIChE process safety certificates), and constructed a strong body of research projects addressing various fields of chemical engineering. Finally, I cultivated a rich basis in managerial and teamwork experience from my ten-years of work in retail and volunteering for Special Olympics.
North Carolina State University-Raleigh,NC
• Masters of Science, Chemical Engineering (Enrolled for online program Spring Semester 2015)
Florida Institute Of Technology – Melbourne, FL
• Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering (awarded May 2013)
Brevard Community College – Melbourne, FL
• Associate of Arts, General Studies (awarded May 2008)
• Associate of Science, Chemical Technology (awarded May 2008)
• College Credit Certificate, Chemical Laboratory Specialist (awarded May 2008)
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH PROJECTS
• Completed a preliminary project on designing transportation pipelines for polyvinylchloride (PVC) monomer in manufacturing facility (subfield: separation technology)
• Completed a computer-aided design of a Scopolamine drug patch (subfield: mass transfer)
• Completed a preliminary project on distillation column design (subfield: separation technology)
• Design of Mono and Polyethylene Glycol plant for capstone project (subfield: process engineering)
• Developed a new batch differential distillation column design for the chemical unit operations lab (subfield: separation technology)
• Skills (computer/other): Proficient in Excel, Oakdale Datafit, AutoCad, Honeywell Chemical Process software, MATLAB, SIMULINK, Aspen Plus, pipe diagrams/flow sheets, Power Point, Microsoft Word, PLC’s, troubleshooting unit operations, Scanning tunneling microscope (STM), wet chemistry, atomic force microscopy (AFM),transmission electron microscopy (TEM), Outlook, Polymath, Labview, UNISIM, VISIO, Visual Basic, Materials Strength Testing, Hazard Analysis, ISO 90001. statistical analysis, Minitab, R-statistical software and Root cause and failure analysis, HACCP, Technical writing.
• Licenses & Certificates through American Institute of Chemical Engineers: Safety in the Chemical Process Industries, Runaway Reactions, Risk Assessment, Chemical Reactivity hazards, Inherently Safer Design, Dust Explosion Control. Also, OSHA 40 hr HAZWOPER, Chemical Laboratory Specialist and knowledge of six sigma.
• FE/EIT: Scheduled to take Fundamentals of Engineering (FE)
• ExcelAg/BioChem Manufacturing, Inc.-April 2015
Formulation and Project Chemical Engineer.
As the Project Chemical Engineer, I developed a process for harvesting Phosphorous, Nitrogen and micro nutrients from aquarium fish waste and dairy farm waste for use in the fertilizer industry. My research was backed by ExcelAg Corp and conducted at BioChem Manufacturing, Inc. I also developed a new health and safety management system, a QA program and am currently working to simplify their inventory management system for raw materials and finished products. In addition, I am working on a scale-up project for several of their propietary products. Furthermore, I have added protocol for over 20 product synthesis to comply with OSHA, EPA and State standards. Moreover, after product development, I have worked closely with sales and marketing to secure new clients for some of the products that I developed and others that I worked on to improve, focusing in citrus technology and ornamentals.
• Cutrale Citrus (Auberndale, FL)January 2014-April 2015
Process Engineer/Aseptic Pulp Production Coordinator
As the Aseptic Pulp Production Coordinator I am responsible for Recognizing policies, including but not limited to: plant health and safety management system, OSHA, EPA and USDA, HACCP, ISO-22000, production procedure, technical manuals and other pertinent material to the process. Ensuring accuracy of other employees. Coordinating operation of the complex pulp process. Supervise operators and Process helpers. Coordinate production process with other divisions, including: Cogeneration, Wastewater, NFC, Juice Room , and By-Products. Developing and preparing production methods and processes, researching and implementing enhancements and assisting with training employees to ensure efficient and effective production.Responsible for evaluating, recommending and implementing changes to: materials, equipment, tooling, products and processes. Ensure that operations are safe and effective. Coach other employees via safety meetings and trainings on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's), Plant Health and Safety Management system, OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) and OSHA regulations for General Industry. Coordinate method changes with engineering, production, procurement and other units of operation. Process and product flow through lines assigned and continuous process improvement. Re...
Login or Register to view the full resume.