A challenging industrial career position in process engineering & design (FEED) in refinery, petrochemicals & renewable fuel through catalytic cracking & hydrogenation, biomass and waste plastics to oil plant & process design & waste gasification/co-generation/green-renewable-alternative energy/waste-to-energy power plant/corrosion of metals/catalyst/gas and liquid separation/hydrogen & syngas production/unit operation/fuel cell & electrolyzer/simulation and modeling/heavy oil upgrading (hydrotreating)/ceramic materials & metals development & processing/process HAZOP analysis/air pollution control/high temperature superconductor and cost analysis of commercialization:
• Process engineering and technology development, commissioning
• R&D and process scale up
• Support manufacturing by practical problem solving.
• Project/program management
• Technical leadership/mentorship
Summary of qualifications
Ph.D in Chemical and Fuels (Petroleum) Engineering and post-doc fellow in Materials Science and Engineering with Six Sigma Black Belt and Project Management certifications with strong background and experience in front end engineering design (FEED), refinery, petrochemicals, polymer (plastics) to oil, composite decking, renewable/biofuel synthesis from waste & biomass, biomass & waste gasification to produce syngas (H2+CO), syngas clean-up system development, corrosion of metals, failure analysis of metals and ceramics, waste-to-energy power plant, power cogeneration, waste water clean system, hydro-processing of heavy oil, bitumen from oil sands, unit operation, mass & energy balance, process HAZOP analysis, thermochemical reactor design, catalyst (refinery, petrochemicals), nanotechnology, reactor design (high temperature and high pressure), gas/gas & liquid/liquid separation, kinetic study, modeling, simulation & optimization, ceramic membrane reactor, fuel processing (syngas generation), solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs), solid state electrolyzer cells for hydrogen generation, PEM (polymer electrolyte membrane) fuel cells, ceramic/catalyst materials development & processing, fuel cell stack design, coatings of thin and thick films, high temperature superconductor, solid state electrochemistry and impedance spectroscopy. Excellent skills in communication, advisory skills, problem solving, people management, technical leadership, business development, cost analysis and team work. More than 19 years of professional experience in industry and university labs, and R&D/technology development, project management, process scale up and commercialization. Author/co-author of 30 publications and presentations and 6 invention publications and 14 invention disclosures.
Trex Company, Winchester, VA
Sr R&D Manager, 2014-Present
• Responsible for managing projects up to $5M from initial process design (FEL) through implementation and commissioning.
• Commissioning responsibilities include front end engineering design (FEED) for diesel and gasoline from waste plastics and pilot plant & commercial plant design: feed preparation system design; equipment design and competitively-bid pricing; feed and product specifications; P&ID, PFD with heat & mass balance; plant layout; catalyst and chemicals definition; best metal selection for equipment and valves under various fuel oils and temperature, reactor design; process HAZOP analysis and cost analysis of commercialization.
• Materials selection and testing for composite deck of polymer and woods and other polymer additives.
Covanta Energy, Morristown, NJ
Principal Engineer, 2008-2014
• Responsible for managing projects up to $10M from initial process design (FEL) through implementation and commissioning.
• Commissioning responsibilities include front end engineering design (FEED) for semi commercial plant (1.2million gal/year) of renewable oil (diesel and gasoline) production from biomass/waste and plant design: equipment design and competitively-bid pricing; feed and product specifications; P&ID, PFD with heat & mass balance; plant layout and 3D modeling; catalyst including zeolite and chemicals definition; best metal selection for equipment and valves under various fuel oils and temperature, corrosion and failure analysis of alloys, reactor design; unit operation design (distillation, liquid extraction, water-steam stripping); process HAZOP analysis; modeling, simulation and optimization (Aspen plus and others); management of subcontracting companies; management of construction, start-up and operation of semi commercial plant of biodiesel/renewable diesel production from biomass/waste under OSHA regulation; continuous process improvement of renewable fuels production from waste and biomass through catalytic cracking/hydrogenation for better quality of biodiesel and cost reduction during its operation; CapEx and OpEx management; front end engineering design (FEED) and plant design for full commercial-scale plant (6 million gal/year) of biofuel production from biomass/waste as well as cost analysis of commercialization.
• Lead project engineer on process HAZOP analysis (PSM, LOPA) by applying SHE, OSHA and manufacturing requirement; waste/biomass gasification development and syngas clean up system for co-generation; materials selection for high temperature gasification; plastics-to-fuel/oil process technology evaluation; simulation and modeling using commercial software; design of energy storage using electrolyzer for hydrogen generation; petrochemical synthesis system design from syngas.
• Project engineer on work on power plant of energy from waste/biomass; evaluation of economics of a new technology; improving lifetime of waste to energy power plant facility and air pollution control; waste water clean system development.
Transmediair, Hillsborough, NJ
Senior Research scientist, 2007- 2008
• Lead project engineer on catalytic biomass gasification process development; bioethanol and biodiesel production; catalyst design; worked on FEED of biomass to biofuel; petrochemicals, Fisher-Tropsch and methanol synthesis, materials selection.
• Project engineer on pilot scale demonstration reactor design and construction as well as operation; mathematical modeling of gasification reactor as well as other reactors; worked on FEED of biomass to biofuel; biofuel reactor development and catalyst development.
American Science and Technology (AST), Chicago, IL
Director, 2006- 2007
• Responsible for managing projects up to $1MM from initial process design (FEL) through implementation and commissioning.
• Commissioning responsibilities include light weight fuel cell technology development and system for UGV and UAV as well as portable, stationary and automotive fuel cells; FEED of fuel cell systems; program management of several companies and universities; syngas generation (steam reforming) and hydrogen storage as well as catalyst. Energy harvesting and biofuel (nanotechnology). Business development & program management.
• Proposal and report writing and report presentation to US DoD (Department of Defense)
Edison Materials Technology Center (EMTEC)/UDRI, Dayton, OH
Login or Register to view the full resume.